As a precautionary measure, members of the public are advised to take the following measures to prevent respiratory tract infections:
- Build up good body immunity by having a proper diet, regular exercise and adequate rest, reducing stress and avoiding smoking
- Maintain good personal hygiene, and wash hands after sneezing, coughing or cleaning the nose
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth. If necessary, wash hands before touching them
- Maintain good ventilation
- Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation
- Consult their doctor promptly if they develop respiratory symptoms
- Patients with respiratory symptoms are advised to wear mask to reduce the chance of spread of the infection to people around them.
It is particularly important that public transport companies and operators ensure good ventilation and cleanliness in the vehicle compartment and station facilities. Specific advice on the prevention of diseases is highlighted below:
- Plenty of fresh air should be introduced into the vehicle compartment and station facilities;
- If the facilities are mechanically ventilated, ensure frequent air exchanges and proper maintenance and cleansing of the system;
- Cleanse and disinfect furniture and vehicle compartment regularly (at least once a day), using diluted household bleach (i.e. adding 1 part of household bleach to 99 parts of water), rinse with water and then mop dry.