The NPC is composed of deputies who are component members of the highest organ of state power and collectively exercise the power of the highest state organ. According to the Constitution and the Organization Law of the National People’s Congress, each deputy serves a term of five years beginning with the opening of the 1st session of each NPC and ends with the 1st session of the following NPC. Deputies emerged from by-elections shall serve from the date of election to the end of the present term of office of the NPC.
Rights of the deputies:
1. Right to draft proposals for bills, raising suggestions, criticisms and voicing opinions;
2. Right to vote in election and decide on appointment;
3. Right to raise bills for questioning and conduct hearings;
4. Right not to be investigated for their speeches and voting at various sessions of the NPC;
5. Right not to be arrested or criminally tried without permission when the NPC is in session or not in session;
6. Right to make inspections concerning issues under review by the NPC; and
7. Right to enjoy guarantee provided by the state and society to the deputies according to practical needs when attending NPC sessions or exercising other rights belonging to the deputies.
Obligations of the deputies:
1. Obligation to exemplarily abide by the Constitution and laws, earnestly exercise rights and functions, maintain state secret and assist the enforcement of the Constitution and laws in the production, work and social activities they engage in; and
2. Obligation to maintain close contact with the units and people from whom they are elected, listen to and report people’s opinions and demands and strive to serve the people.
(China.org.cn May 20, 2003)