1. The NPC: the highest organ of state power with five years of each term. The plenary session of the NPC is held once every year or at any time under special circumstances. Deputies to the NPC are members forming the highest organ of state power to be elected from the provinces, autonomous regions, municipalities directly under the Central Government and the armed forces.
2. The Standing Committee of the NPC: the permanent organization of the highest organ of state power consisting of the chairman, vice chairmen, secretary-general and members who shall not assume any posts in the state administrative organ, judicial or prosecuting organs. The term of office is also five years. The chairman and vice chairmen shall not serve more than two consecutive terms. Normally the Standing Committee is convened once every two months.
3. The Meeting of the Chairmen of the Standing Committee: Participated by the chairman, vice chairmen and secretary-general to deal with major routine work of the Standing Committee.
4. Special committees: permanent committees of the NPC, they are composed of the chairman, vice chairmen and members. Under the leadership of the NPC, special committees are guided by the Standing Committee of the NPC when the latter is not in plenary session. The special committees study, review and draft motions and bills.
5. Deputy Credential Examination Committee: permanent organ of the NPC Standing Committee for examining the credentials of NPC deputies. The specific job of the committee is to examine the credentials of deputies emerged from by-elections of the present session and the newly elected deputies for the coming session. The committee is composed of the chairman, vice chairmen and members, all nominated from among the members of the Standing Committee and by the Meeting of the Chairman of the Standing Committee, to be agreed upon by the plenary session of the Standing Committee for a term of five years.
6. The General Affairs Office, Legislative Work Committee and Budget Committee: permanent organs of the NPC Standing Committee for serving the plenary session of the NPC, meetings of the Standing Committee and sessions of the Meeting of the Chairmen of the Standing Committee; for serving the deputies of the NPC and members of the Standing Committee in their execution of functions and powers according to law and for serving the development of socialist democracy and improvement of the socialist legal system.
(China.org.cn May 20, 2003)