Wangfujing Catholic Church, known as the Eastern Church, is located on famous Wangfujing Avenue in Beijing. It was first established in 1655. Originally an apartment for two foreign priests during Emperor Shunzhi's reign in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), the priests subsequently built a small church on the open ground. Later several earthquakes and wars gradually destroyed the church. It was rebuilt in 1904. After the 1980 restoration in 1980, the church reopened. Because of its geographic location, the Eastern Church faces west. It follows the Romanesque style of architecture, with strong pilasters and one high and two low vaults displaying a grandiose architectural style.
Address: 74 Wangfujing Dajie, Dongcheng District, Beijing
Tel: +86 10 6524 0634
Opening hours: Daily 5 :00-11:00
How to Get There: Take Subway and get off at Wangfujing Station.
(china.org.cn August 24, 2007)