Hong Kong reported its third A/H1N1-flu-related death Saturday as a man died at the Princess Margaret Hospital was confirmed to have carried the virus.
Controller of the Center for Health Protection of Hong Kong Thomas Tsang said after attending a local radio program on Saturday morning that since the man had serious heart disease which was believed to be the main cause of death.
The 58-year-old man, with chronic heart disease, sought treatment for fever, cough and shortness of breath in the hospital on July 30. He was admitted to the hospital after preliminary X-ray examination showed he had a chest infection.
The patient had been in critical condition and put on oxygen to assist breathing. His condition deteriorated on July 31 afternoon and he eventually died at 3.54 p.m.. A respiratory sample tested positive for the influenza A/H1N1.
Tsang said Hong Kong is now in flu peak season and more A/H1N1 flu cases are expected. He noted that high risk people like chronic disease patients should seek medical help when flu symptoms developed.
According to the Hong Kong Hospital Authority, the above case has been reported to the Center for Health Protection.
Hong Kong has so far reported three A/H1N1 flu deaths. A Filipino seaman and a Filipino domestic helper who died last month were found carrying the disease.
(Xinhua News Agency August 1, 2009)