The body of a fourth Chinese worker abducted in southwest Sudan by local militants earlier this month has been recovered, officials of the Chinese Embassy in Sudan said on Wednesday.
Preliminary identification conducted by the Chinese side showed the body was one of nine Chinese workers of the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) who have been snatched in the Southern Kordofan State on Oct. 19, said the officials.
On Tuesday, the Chinese Foreign Ministry confirmed that four, instead of five as earlier reported, of the nine kidnapped Chinese workers in Sudan had been killed.
Three captives who escaped death are receiving treatment in a local hospital, Chinese Ambassador to Sudan Li Chengwen quoted doctors as saying.
One of them suffered a gunshot in the shoulder but has been safe now, the other two were lightly injured, according to the Chinese ambassador.
The rest two hostages are still missing and the Chinese embassy is cooperating with the Sudanese authorities on the search operation.
Also on Tuesday, the Chinese Foreign Ministry condemned the killing of the Chinese workers, urging the African country to take all measures to ensure the safety of Chinese nationals there.
(Xinhua News Agency October 30, 2008)