There are no plans to restrict the licensing of private cars in the foreseeable future, Guangzhou Mayor Zhang Guangning said yesterday.
His remarks followed concerns of residents that restrictions might be imposed ahead of the Asian Games in 2010 in Guangzhou.
Zhang said the decision was unconnected to the city's booming auto industry.
Some 150,000 cars were added to Guangzhou's streets last year, taking the total to 1.05 million.
Guangzhou Automobile Group, which has joint ventures with Toyota, Honda, Isuzu and Hino, reported sales of more than 100 billion yuan ($14 billion) last year.
The mayor said the city will improve traffic conditions by developing metro lines and bus routes to encourage people to use public transport.
He said the city plans to add 134 km of metro lines by 2010, taking the total to 250 km.
(China Daily February 21, 2008)