Home · Weather · Forum · Learning Chinese · Jobs · Shopping
Search This Site
China | International | Business | Government | Environment | Olympics/Sports | Travel/Living in China | Culture/Entertainment | Books & Magazines | Health
Home / Environment / News Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read | Comment
14.4 mln-kw thermal power capacity shut down
Adjust font size:

China shut down 553 small thermal power generators in 2007, with a total capacity of 14.38 million kilowatts, or 44 percent above the annual goal, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) said on Monday.

Closing down small thermal power plants is part of the nation's energy saving and pollution reduction efforts. The State Council, or cabinet, set the annual goal of shutting down 10 million kilowatts thermal power capacity at the beginning of 2007, which had been achieved by October 26, 2007.

On average, these closed generators have a single-set capacity of 26,000 kilowatts and have been operating for 28 years.

After shutting down the obsolete facilities, large thermal power generators (single-set capacity exceeds 50,000 kilowatts) will take the place of generating power. The large-scale facilities will help the country save 18.8 million tons of coal consumption and avoid emitting 290 thousand tons of sulphur dioxide and 37.6 million tons of carbon dioxide every year, according to an official with NDRC.

Shangdong, Henan, Guangdong, Jiangsu and Shanxi are the top five provincial regions in this shut-down drive - having closed 6.7 million kilowatts thermal power capacity, accounting for 46.6 percent of the total.

China's top five power enterprises, local investment corporations and local state-owned enterprises made the overwhelming majority of the efforts by shutting down 256 thermal power generators, or 10.5 million kilowatts in capacity, accounting for 73.1 percent of the total, while the remaining 26.9percent came from private enterprises.

NDRC is a macro-economic management agency under China's State Council, which formulates polices and guides the overall economic system restructuring.
(Xinhua News Agency January 2, 2008)

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read

Username   Password   Anonymous
China Archives
Related >>
- No steam ahead for Huaneng thermal power plant
- More Small Thermal Power Plants Shut Down
- China Shuts Down 156 Small Thermal Power Generating Units in First Half Year
Most Viewed >>
-Resource-exhausted cities to be rehabilitated
-Frozen section of Yellow River extends further
-'Sculpture' by nature
-Winter storm to continue: forecaster
-Plants and Animals in China
Air Quality 
Cities Major Pollutant Air Quality Level
Beijing sulfur dioxide I
Shanghai sulfur dioxide II
Guangzhou sulfur dioxide I
Chongqing particulate matter II
Xi'an particulate matter II
Most Read
-Resource-exhausted cities to be rehabilitated
-Frozen section of Yellow River extends further
-'Sculpture' by nature
-Winter storm to continue: forecaster
-Plants and Animals in China
NGO Events Calendar Tips
- Hand in hand to protect endangered animals and plants
- Changchun, Mini-marathon Aimed at Protecting Siberian Tiger
- Water Walk by Nature University
- Green Earth Documentary Salon
- Prof. Maria E. Fernandez to Give a Lecture on Climate Change
UN meets on climate change
The UN Climate Change Conference brought together representatives of over 180 countries and observers from various organizations.
Panda Facts
A record 28 panda cubs born via artificial insemination have survived in 2006.
South China Karst
Rich and unique karst landforms located in south China display exceptional natural beauty.
Saving the Tibetan Antelopes
The rare animals survive in the harsh natural environment of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau.
Laws & Regulations
- Forestry Law of the People's Republic of China
- Meteorology Law of the People's Republic of China
- Fire Control Law of the People's Republic of China
- Law on Protecting Against and Mitigating Earthquake Disasters
- Law of the People's Republic of China on Conserving Energy
State Environmental Protection Administration
Ministry of Water Resources
Ministry of Land and Resources
China Environmental Industry Network
Chengdu Giant Panda Research Base
SiteMap | About Us | RSS | Newsletter | Feedback

Copyright © All Rights Reserved E-mail: Tel: 86-10-88828000 京ICP证 040089号