The Banpo Museum is situated at the east bank of the Chan River and in the north of Banpo Village on the eastern outskirts of Xian City which was built on the Banpo Site in 1957 and formally open to the public in 1958. It is the State key cultural object under protection.
Banpo Site is a comparatively integrated commune village site rather typical of the matriarchy (a neolithic site of the Yangshao Culture at Banpo Village on the eastern outskirts of Xian) in the Yellow River Valley that was about 6000 years ago. It is our country invaluable cultural heritage. The Site with an existing area of about 50,000 square meters is divided into residential quarters, pottery making area and burial ground. Since its discovery in the spring of 1953, five scientific excavations have been carried out one after another. The excavation area covers about 10,000 square meters, obtaining rich scientific data and precious cultural relics. The Museum consists of the Site Hall, two Exhibition Halls and a pottery cellar site, with tools of production and articles for daily use of various descriptions on display, totalling approximately 10,000 pieces. At the same time, the paintings and charts also show the social infrastructure and the life, civilization and art, invention and creation of Banpo Man during the Banpo period, reappearing the Banpo Man going in for agricultural production, hunting, fishing, raising, pottery making and other productive activities. They were also engaged in painting, sculpture, making of ornaments and other artistic activities, which show the life of the primitive social phenomena.
Open Time: 8:00-18:30
Ticket: 20 yuan (US$2.5)
Transportation: Bus 8、11、42、45、105、233 are accessible.
(china.org.cn February 20, 2003)