Listen to the following passages and then choose the best answer to each question by blackening the corresponding circle. You may need to scribble a few notes in order to answer the questions satisfactorily. There are three passages in this part, each with five questions. And each question carries two points. You will hear the passages only once.
21. Where and when was my grandfather married?
〇 a. In Washington in 1885.
〇 b. In Washington in 1860.
〇 c. In Michigan in 1885.
〇 d. In Michigan in 1860.
22. When did I decide to find out about “Aunt Maggie”?
〇 a. three years ago.
〇 b. When my father died.
〇 c. About 85 years after my correspondence with her.
〇 d. When I was nineteen.
23. How did I find L. Rarick?
〇 a. The telephone operator helped me.
〇 b. I got her name and number from the yellow book.
〇 c. I got her number from Charles.
〇 d. I got her address from my father.
24. When I reached L. Rarick, she was ___________.
〇 a. Very suspicious
〇 b. Greatly surprised
〇 c. Embarrassed
〇 d. Unhappy
25. Which of the following is not true about “Aunt Maggie”?
〇 a. Her name was Margaret Rarick.
〇 b. She was my grandfather’s half sister.
〇 c. She kept her maiden name.
〇 d. She was L. Rarick’s grandma.
26. What kind of people were early colonial newspapers designed for?
〇 a. Business people.
〇 b. Elite.
〇 c. Immigrants.
〇 d. People in the cities.
27. Which of the following did not contribute to the popularization of newspapers?
〇 a. New technology and compulsory education.
〇 b. Industrialization.
〇 c. Population growth.
〇 d. Urbanization.
28. When was the United States transformed into a truly industrial country?
〇 a. In the twentieth century.
〇 b. At the turn of the last century.
〇 c. During the Civil War.
〇 d. Between the end of the Civil War and the turn of the 20th century.
29. Which of the following are the two largest American wire services?
〇 a. Associated Press and United Press International.
〇 b. AFP and United Press International.
〇 c. Associated Press and Reuters.
〇 d. AFP and Associated Press.
30. According to the passage, which of the following is the most severely criticized function of the mass media?
〇 a. The function to influence.
〇 b. The watchdog function.
〇 c. The function to advertise.
〇 d. The function to inform.