Overseas donations for snow-stricken areas of China, including funds from Hong Kong and Macao, have exceeded 40 million yuan (about 5.48 million U.S. dollars), the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council said.
On Thursday, an overseas Chinese investment association appealed to overseas Chinese for help for millions of people affected by persistent severe winter weather in central, east and south China.
The "warmth-seeking" action was launched by the office on Thursday. By later that day, the office had received funds totaling 14 million yuan from three enterprises.
On Saturday evening, officials with the office visited Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, one of the hard-hit areas, and brought donations for the residents.
The snow has so far killed at least 60 people, according to the latest figures, and forced nearly 1.76 million people to relocate. From Jan. 25-31, a total of 5.8 million passengers were stranded throughout the railway system and more than 8,000 cargo trains were affected.
Some countries and foreign friends have sent messages of sympathy and solicitude over China's worst winter weather in decades, which has caused huge losses over the past three weeks.
Premier Wen Jiabao said on Saturday that people in China "have the faith, courage and ability to overcome the severe natural disaster."
(Xinhua News Agency February 4, 2008)