Home · Weather · Forum · Learning Chinese · Jobs · Shopping
Search This Site
China | International | Business | Government | Environment | Olympics/Sports | Travel/Living in China | Culture/Entertainment | Books & Magazines | Health
Home / Government / Central Government News Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read
Universities Forbidden to Dispel Pregnant Students
Adjust font size:

Chinese universities and colleges are no longer allowed to kick out married students who get pregnant or give birth, according to a statement posted on the Website of the country's family planning regulator Friday.

However, pregnant students are encouraged to suspend their studies to ensure they stay healthy, said the joint statement by China's National Population and Family Planning Commission, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Public Security.

And universities and colleges must strengthen education on the family planning policy and sexual knowledge, including contraception, the statement said.

Schools are asked to tell their students to focus more on their studies and be cautious about love affairs and marriage.

Early last year, a dismissed medical college student won a discrimination case against her school for expelling her because she gave birth while still taking courses.

Wang Hongjie won the suit and got her master's degree from Mudanjiang Medical College in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province.

Under Chinese law, women can marry at 20 and men at 22. But brides over 23 and grooms over 25 are commonly considered to be later marriages, which is officially encouraged.

Students were forbidden to marry until the law was changed in September 2005.

Yesterday's statement also requires colleges to hire people to track married students on campus and help them.

Student couples who give birth will be issued certificates after they registered their baby with colleges, and the information on the certificate will be recorded on the students' personnel files.

Local police stations are asked to register the newborn child by giving them a hukou - a certificate of residence.

(Shanghai Daily August 5, 2007)

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read

Username   Password   Anonymous
China Archives
Related >>
- Soochow University Creates Student Maternity Leave
Most Viewed >>
-'We have faith,' Premier Wen tells country
-China works to limit snow-related chaos
-Chinese Servicemen to Wear New Uniforms
-Solution to Clean up Pollution Disgrace
-Lin Shusen reelected governor of Guizhou
Questions and Answers More
Q: What kind of law is there in place to protect pandas?
A: In order to put the protection of giant pandas and other wildlife under the law, the Chinese government put the protection of rare animals and plants into the Constitution.
Useful Info
- Who's Who in China's Leadership
- State Structure
- China's Political System
- China's Legislative System
- China's Judicial System
- Mapping out 11th Five-Year Guidelines
- Chinese Embassies
- International Department, Central Committee of CPC
- State Organs Work Committee of CPC
- United Front Work Department, Central Committee of CPC
SiteMap | About Us | RSS | Newsletter | Feedback

Copyright © All Rights Reserved E-mail: Tel: 86-10-88828000 京ICP证 040089号