The city has made considerable progress with its four-month food safety and products quality campaign, officials said yesterday.
All the manufacturers who were operating without business certificates had been shut down and all legal companies had established files to record the quality of their products, officials said.
The Shanghai Bureau of Quality and Technical Supervision has also set standards for some traditional food processing to ensure food safety.
The bureau canceled the health certificates of food processing sites which could not ensure a good environment.
The quality of products had also improved over the campaign.
The bureau inspected wire and paint in the local market before and after the campaign, finding that the number of products passing tests had risen by 1.9 and 6.4 percent respectively.
The city has also blocked entry to more than 1,000 tons of pork since August. Some of the meat failed to meet China's quarantine standards or was illegally imported, officials said.
The Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau launched a safe food campaign at the end of August, Xu Jinji, director of the bureau, said.
The bureau, however, wouldn't say where the pork was from.
About 219 tons of unsafe pork was tested and destroyed and 878 tons returned to their home countries because they were illegally imported, the report said.
Meanwhile, the bureau also seized 7,295 pieces of fruit and meat products carried by travelers to the country in the past four months, the report said.
(Shanghai Daily December 25, 2007)