- Argentina's Bergoglio elected Pope
- Argentinian Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 76, the archbishop of Buenos Aires, was elected the new pope on Wednesday on the second day of secret ballots in the cardinals' conclave held in Vatican City.
- Mandela discharged from hospital
- South Africa's former president Nelson Mandela was discharged from hospital on Sunday after a medical check-up, the Presidency said.
- Pope speaks in emotional farewell
- Pope Benedict XVI basked in an emotional sendoff yesterday from a massive crowd at his final general audience in St Peter's Square.
- Hagel confirmed as Pentagon chief
- The U.S. Senate on Tuesday voted 58-41 to confirm Chuck Hagel as the next Secretary of Defense. Hagel will be sworn in on Wednesday.