A harsh crackdown on spreading pornographic content through Internet or mobile WAP sites continued to expand to purify the social environment.
• 3,470 detained in online porn crackdown
• China Mobile moves to fight porn criticism
Li Qiaoming, 24, was beaten to death by three fellow inmates on February 8, but the detention center in Yunnan Province at first claimed that he died while playing a game of "hide-and-seek."
• Netizens join probe into prison death
Chongqing Municipality started a massive crackdown on organized crime in June, exposing deep ties between police and criminals. Up to December 24, two gang leaders have been executed.
• Gang leader executed, 4 lawmakers removed
The July 5 riot in Urumqi, which was masterminded by the separatist World Uyghur Congress led by Rebiya Kadeer, left 197 dead and more than 1,700 injured.
• Full coverage: Unrest in Xinjiang
The National Day parade commemorating the 60th founding anniversary of the People's Republic of China was held in Beijing's Tiananmen Square on October 1.
• Full coverage: 60th Anniversary of the PRC
China launched its Nasdaq-style Growth Enterprise Market (GEM) - ChiNext in Shenzhen, October 23, and the first batch of 28 selected firms made their debut on October 30 on the Shenzhen-based exchange.
• ChiNext should not be turned into a casino
The Shanghai Disneyland project was formally approved by the State Council in early November. The project will be located in Pudong district and occupy 116 hectares of land.
• Disneyland - small start, big future
The Ministry of Public Security in early November launched a nationwide crackdown on match-fixing and gambling that ravaged the scandal-ridden domestic professional soccer leagues.
• Profits drive soccer gambling scandal
Sichuan woman Tang Fuzhen died after she set herself on fire on November 13 to stop the demolition of her home, which local authorities have called violent resistance against the law.
• China may rebuild demolition rule
108 miners died in the coal mine blast in Longmei Mining Holding Group's subsidiary in Hegang of Heilongjiang Province, November 21.
• 'Learn mine safety lessons'